Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sew Simple

So I've been looking for a new hobby, and decided I wanted to take up sewing. I bought a sewing machine around Christmas time, and have had fabulous daydreams about how I am going to hand-make everything from our curtains to our future daughter's wedding dress.
My sewing machine looks really childish...I'm not a fan of the stupid flowers, but it was cheap. I will invest in a really nice one once I'm ready to make that wedding dress.
So, my first ever by-myself project, with no help, and really not much knowledge of sewing machines, was completed over the weekend. I decided I want to make slipcovers for some throw pillows for our couches. I got the pillow inserts at IKEA and got an awesome deal at JoAnn's for some fabric. The stars really aligned for my project because they were having a huge sale and I still had a gift card.
Anyway, I had to guess on the measurements because I didn't have a pattern....how do you measure fabric anyway? I used a ruler....I think that is wrong. I even made button holes for the first time ever...although I misjudged their placement so they are partially under the seam.....but that's on the back anyway, right?
Anyway, the finished project looks like this:


Cute little buttonhole (These are really hard by the way!):







It took several hours, but hey, one down and two more to go! I just need to get some more fabric. And more time. And a renewed interest in clean language. (jk)

4 comments:

  1. My grandma is amazing at sewing... she made most of the dresses cloee wears to church...that gene completely skipped me. :) so congrats on the pillow cover and the creativity.. I envy you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt realize you made that!!! It is cute...good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl!!!! Keep it up, you will never regret learning how to sew. I tell my kids - it's just like driving a car. love you, Aunt Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karin it's darling!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete