Friday, April 23, 2010

"Spring is when life's alive in everything" --Christina Rossetti

I love Spring. I love the feeling of renewal, of hope, of life. It reminds us that everything comes full circle. From the dead of winter comes rebirth. This is a great opportunity to start life anew. A lot of people make New Year's Resolutions. I vote we made New Season Resolutions! It's much more inspiring to put your whole heart into something when it seems everything down to Mother Earth is jumping on the bandwagon.
I see a sky like today and I wish I could paint. Maybe I should take a class. But where?

Even though Spring is a fickle filly in Utah I do love the three days that it lasts. I feel so energized. Like I could bike up a mountain .
Now that I've finished my little "Ode to Spring," I have an embarrassing moment to share along those lines. When I was in 9th grade, my English teacher, Mrs. Fraser, required us all to write some original Shakespearean type sonnets. Of course, being the studious, disciplined, non-procrastinator that I am (psych!--remember "psych!") I was busily scribbling something down in the class before english so I would have something to turn in. It had to be in iambic pentameter and have rhyming couplets and all that Shakespearean fodder. Little did I know, that EVERYONE had to read our "sonnets" aloud to the class. I just about died. Let's just say, I could barely even make it through the reading I was giggling out of embarrassment. Which only served to add to my abashment. It was a really sappy, sentimental, satirical, stupid homage to spring.To give you a little taste, the only part of my writing that I remember was along the lines of:

Late at night I sit on the roof
Hearing comfort in my little dog's woof
Mrs. Fraser even commented at the end, "Well someone's excited for Spring, isn't she?" 
Yeah....the whole thing was pretty much like that. At the end of the year our class gave out awards and mine was "Sonnet Superior". As excited as I was for Spring and rebirth and all that, I have never wanted to wither and die more than I did then.

Can anyone top that embarrassing moment?

3 comments:

  1. I think your "even though spring is a fickle filly" sentence tops that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL-! i remember mrs fraser and the awards. i ran into henry once (and it had been a LONG time) and we were joking about when we were voted best couple.. even though we weren't dating.. cracked me up.. oh reminiscing.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Was that the poem about the chipmunks or squirrels or whatever?

    ReplyDelete